Phoenix Indoor Range and Gun Shop offers the Canadian Firearms Safety Course, which is hosted by the Radisson Hotel next door – perfect for the out-of-towners who plan to attend. The CFSC Course material is covered in 1-day courses, with regular non-restricted and restricted firearms courses running weekly. Please see our schedule for the next available course. Programs fill up quickly – so book while you can!
Aiming for safety, The Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) was developed in partnership with the provinces and territories, national organizations with an ongoing interest in firearms safety, and many firearms and hunter education course instructors from across Canada. This course was developed to meet the mandatory requirements set out in subparagraph 106(2)(c)(i) of the Criminal Code of Canada and came into effect January 1, 1994.
As a result of the Firearms Act, the firearms safety training that is provided to firearms owners and users required modification. The revised CFSC, which was implemented on Sept 1st, 2016, reflects the new legislation and focuses primarily on non-restricted firearms (rifles and shotguns). The legislation stipulates that individuals wishing to acquire non-restricted firearms must take the CFSC and pass the tests. Challenges are no longer offered.
When taking your training through Phoenix Range, you can count on experienced instruction with the material covered in a complete and friendly manner. Whether you’ve studied the material beforehand, shot with mentors, or have never held a firearm, Phoenix Indoor Range and Gun Shop can see you through the process!
Additional Booking and transfer/no-show details:
- Refunds will not be given on any course bookings for any reason. (Including moving, etc. NO EXCEPTIONS)
- Changing and re-booking any dates booked must be done in-person. If there are more than 7 days prior to the date of your course, there won’t be a transfer fee charged.
- Date changes made within 7 days from the course date will incur a fee in the amount of $40.00 per course change payable at the time of re-booking. Re-booking must be done in person (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- Failure to show for a course without prior notice (minimum 24 hours) to Phoenix Range will result in forfeiture of your course fees at the discretion of Management.
- In order to attend the restricted firearms safety course, each student must have previously passed the Non-restricted course or attained a Non-restricted firearms license.
Topics covered in the CFSC include:
- The evolution of firearms, major parts, types and actions;
- Basic firearms safety practices;
- Operating firearm actions;
- Safe handling and carry procedures;
- Firing techniques and procedures;
- Care of non-restricted firearms;
- Responsibilities of the firearms owner/user; and Safe storage, display, transportation and handling of Non-restricted firearms.